Why? It’s simply because it’s a new technology and not everyone is an early adapter. But everyone will adapt SERP checker tools in a year or two, of that we are certain. Learn about importance of SERP monitoring and various tools that will help you get ahead of competition.
What is SERP?
SERP is short for Search Engine Results Page. In simple words it’s the page you see when you search for anything in Google, Yahoo or other search engine. So you type in a query, get various results generated by e.g. Google and that is SERP.
In most cases what you see on SERP is:
- 10 results per 1 page with links to various publications. You probably heard about it in relation to SEO. Every business competes to get to the Top10 as it accounts for almost all of the clicks (Source: https://backlinko.com/google-ctr-stats). Nowadays people don’t want to lose any time and won’t go to the second page.
- Sometimes you may get more than 10 results when for example you get relevant sponsored ads. In Google you may see up to 3 such propositions on SERP and in most cases it’s various brands advertising themselves for relevant keywords. Like when you’re searching for the best cars of 2020 and see ads from car dealers.
- Contextual answers like when you want to do some math or check currency exchange. Google then provides answer without the need of clicking any links.
- Pictures or videos when Google thinks it would be the best answer to your query.
- Related queries when Google suggests what other users were looking for that may be closely related to your search.
- Many, many more in form of snippets. SERP is more complicated with each year as Google wants to answer your question and spare you any clicks. That’s why sometimes you may see biograms of important people, graphs, special pages about e.g. COVID or UEFA championships or product reviews with links to various stores.
Why is SERP important?
There are two main reasons:
Leads from SERP
As we mentioned before almost everyone decides to click one of the results from the first SERP. That’s why everyone uses their own SEO knowledge or hires a SEO specialist to prepare a strategy for getting to the Top10 SERP results. If you’re not there then it’s not really a difference if you have 20th or 1000th position. If you want to get new clients and better revenue then first invest in SEO. It is also the last high traffic place where you can get significant organic reach just through relevant content that you’re creating.
Brand reputation on SERP
It’s not all about marketing campaigns now, that information exchange takes seconds and one bad comment can lead to a crisis. You may prepare an excellent campaign and slogans but when it comes to making a purchase or choosing a service almost everyone turns to Google (Source: https://gs.statcounter.com/search-engine-market-share). What do they see when they search for your brand? Do they see excellent reviews or negative opinions? If you have a negative result about the brand in Top3 than your sales may plummet and without SERP monitoring you’ll be wondering why.
How SERP tracking tools can help you
SERP checker tools can let you compare yourself to your competitors. You can define for what keywords you want to position your domain and analyse what is your position for each one. This will help you decide where you should put most of your efforts. Maybe it’s a word with smaller reach but it’s easier to get to SERP Top3 or maybe you want to focus all your activities on the most popular keyword.
Such tools can also help you define keywords. By performing domain analysis you will find out for what keywords you’re already positioning and sometimes even get advice on what to do if you want to get higher on SERP.
You can also use tool focused on brand reputation to find out, how you’re perceived by Google users, what people can find out about your brand and get notifications when something bad is happening.
Recommended tools for you to test can be found in the last paragraph of this article.
Specifics of Google SERP
Now, we will go into the details of Google snippets. How Google helps users and makes the most of SERP and what besides 10 links can they encounter. We focus on this search engine as it accounts for 93% (Source: https://gs.statcounter.com/search-engine-market-share) of whole SERP traffic.
- AdWords – 1-3 paid results that Google defines as most relevant to the query, usually consist of CTA slogan and sometimes of stars (reviews) and links inside the publication.
- Featured snippets which provide the best answers to the query and are created from the fraction of the most relevant publication. It can be about a famous person, event or even a popular game like Pokemon GO
- Questions that are often connected with your query and provide you with answer without clicking any links.
- Videos or images – there are times when videos or images may answer our questions better than words. In these instances Google will decide to provide you with visual answer in addition to links that are always on SERP.
- If what you’re asking can be answered with a number or graph then Google will try to do it. Like when you ask what is the answer for 2+2 or how many people live in USA.
- Knowledge panels are one of the most robust snippets. For products they can combine reviews, links to sellers and details or most important facts about a country if that’s what you’re looking for.
- Local info – sometimes you look for things that are near you like ATM, café or a hairdresser. For such queries Google will show you a map with the 3 best options highlighted.
- Sometimes you have to do a search on the website you’ll access. If Google thinks that a webpage can do something better than them then It will provide you with special links that lead to e.g. websites with restaurant reviews or price comparison aggregators.
- Hotels – SERP for hotels is really useful. You will get an answer in a form of map with hotels, opinions about them, prices or even an option to choose when and for how many people you want to rent a room.
- Flights – as Google has its own Google flights app it will show you a fragment from it when you’re looking for a connection. Flights panels on SERP lets you choose date and destination and give you various price options to compare.
- Important event page – When something important for the world or country happens Google creates a dedicated site for it. A few years ago it was Olympics or elections, now it’s COVID-19.
The best SERP checker tools
SERP checker tools are many and they have somewhat different functions and prices. We’ll describe three, that we think you simply must test out.
SERP Checker will give a lot of useful data for a start. You just type in your domain and will get results for all the keywords for which your rank in Top100. If you create a free 10-day account you can check all these keywords and perform a SEO analysis that will help you grow your business through SERP without any limits. After that it’s about 30$ per month.
One of the really interesting features is an option to perform analysis for a specific location that may be strategic to your business. Specifically, if your business needs real life interaction like e.g. a restaurant or a beauty salon.
Is is also a SERP checker tool focused on Google, so if you know that your customers may use other search engines then you should consider another tool.
One of the most popular tools on the market. Easy to understand, well-organized and really powerful. It has a lot of features but clean design makes it approachable even for people new to SEO. If you’ll decide to invest some time, you’ll profit from it.
It’s great if you want to dive into SEO, have multiple domains and want to manage them all from one dashboard. Graphs and charts will make it easy to analyse positioning and make data-driven decisions. AccuRanker also gives you possibility to do a SERP check for your competition, get updates on-demand or take advantage of great customer support.
It’s not free like SERP Checker but you can try it for free for 14 days and get a lot more features. If you decide for a paid plan you must be ready to pay about 100$.
As both previous tools should be used for making decisions about SEO strategy and are useful mostly for getting new customers and leads then Sentinic is a SERP checker tool for brand reputation protection.
It has a simple design that you know from your favourite apps and provides features important for protecting your brand. Our tool is focused on monitoring keywords on SERP related to your brand, products or services. It helps you identify not how your website is positioned for a specific keyword but which results influence your customers and how they change in time. You will know which results people see when they Google your brand, which ones are the most important and will be able to adjust your content strategy to push negative publications out of Top10 results.
You will also get automatic sentiment analysis for all results, option to monitor many countries and languages simultaneously and notifications about most important updates on SERP. With these features you won’t miss a single negative publication. It’s just 9$ dollars for basic plan and you can test it for free for 14 days.
SERP checker tools – start today
Don’t wait for others to get ahead and start testing these tools today. You’ll see that your business can really profit from it. If you’re already monitoring social media, forums, articles etc. then monitoring SERP should be an obvious next step.